Cholia aur Soya Bean Ka Pulao
Posted on October 17,2015 by Kunal Kapoor
This dish is a unique combination of fresh green gram and soya bean chunks with aromatic Basmati rice cooked on ‘dum’ in sealed pots.
- 250 Gram Basmati Rice
- 250 Ml Water (for Boiling Rice)
- 3 Tea Spoon Salt
- 20 Pieces Soya Bean Chunks
- 1 Pieces Onion (Large)
- 2 Tbl Spoon Canola oil
- 1 Pieces Bay Leaf
- 2 Tea Spoon Jeera (Cumin)
- 3 Pieces Cloves
- 10 Pieces Black Peppercorn
- 1 Pieces Cinnamon
- 2 Pieces Green Chili, (Small)
- 100 Gram Cholia (Fresh Green Gram)
- Pick, wash and soak rice for half an hour. Boil water and add salt. Remove from the burner and drop in the soya bean chunks for 15 minutes.
- Peel onion and cut in thick slices. Heat canola oil in a vessel and add bay leaf, jeera, cloves, peppercorn and cinnamon. Once they splutter, put the onions and green chillies (slit). Sauté until onion turns light brown. Squeeze out excess water from the soya chunks and along with cholia, place in the vessel. Add salt and sauté for 2 minutes. Add salt and rice. Now pour water and let rice boil.
- Once half the water is evaporated, turn the heat low and cover with tight-fitting lid.
- Cook for another 8 minutes and turn off heat. Let it rest in this position for another 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and serve hot.
Note: Do not stir the rice at any point, as it can break. The water added to rice is always dependent on the quality of rice and the length of time you soak it for.
Nutrients Amount Carbohydrates 32 g Protein 4.1 g Fat 5.7 g Saturated fat 0.3 g Cholesterol 0 mg Fiber 0.33 g Sodium 1280mg Calories 184